Saturday, September 15, 2018

Losing sleep with When the Lights Go Out by Mary Kubica!

Who am I? Where do I come from? Is my whole life a lie? These are questions that Jessie Sloane is now forced to ask herself in the slow burn psychological thriller, When the Lights Go Out by Mary Kubica.This journey is one of twists and turns and 'OMG' moments you won't want to miss!

Jessie's dying mother tells her to 'go find yourself'. Jessie, assuming her mother meant for her to make something of herself, do what she enjoys, make her life what she has dreamed of enrolls in college but after red flags are raised as to her identity, Jessie has to wonder if that is what her mother actually meant by those words.

Now: Plagued with insomnia Jessie takes us with her on her quest to 'find herself'. Not just questioning her identity but also the things around. her. Is she seeing what she thinks she is, hearing what is being whispered to her or is the insomnia making her endeavor that much harder? Each passing day brings her closer to solving the mystery of her life but with each passing day brings more exhaustion and the fear that lack of sleep will eventually end her life.

Then: We follow Eden back 20 years and relive her emotional and heart wrenching struggles with her. Her story is one born of love and what society tells us are worth is to be. The triggers and stumbling blocks taking Eden to places that she never thought she would be. Eden may hold the answers to Jessie's questions.

When The Lights Go Out is told with a then and now narration volleying between Eden (then) and Jessie (now). I adored both of them. I found Eden and Jessie incredibly relatable and likable. I cried for Eden and bit my nails for Jessie and loved every moment of the book. Prior to reading this book, I read the mixed reviews and I knew the end was a love or hate conclusion and I can say that I loved it. I thought it was perfect and flowed really well with the rest of the story! Given an alternate ending, I wouldn't have chosen any other. I very much enjoyed When the Lights Go Out!

Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin books for the opportunity to read and review When the Lights Go Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ward D(on’t)

There aren’t many books that I feel morally obligated to share a review about but this one takes the cake. This book is infuriating, damagin...